Jennifer Hill, Ph.D.
Researcher // designer // writer
I'm Jennifer Hill: a Computer Science Ph.D. who is passionate about educational technology and user-centric design. I started the Learning Technologies Research group at GWU, where I spent the five years of my doctoral studies creating, designing, developing, and managing two educational software projects: CAPITAL and REMind.
Since graduating, I have been working as a freelance consultant on a variety of research and design projects. Much of my work has been for Save the Children International, where I have conducted desk studies and contributed reports and recommendations for introducing effective educational technology solutions to their US and international education programs. I have also written Software Requirements Specifications documents and created high-fidelity mock-ups for an international development software toolkit. I have also designed and maintained several websites, including DC's recent Metrobus Report Card, a partnership with The Coalition for Smarter Growth.
Nothing satisfies me more than seeing a well-researched, evidence-based idea come to life in a product that has a tangible impact for real users. I'm thorough, hard-working, attentive to detail, and passionate about finding ways to bring together useful technologies with clean, intuitive designs.
- Created metrobusreportcard.com
- Researched, co-authored, and designed official print version of report Metrobus Report Card: Better buses for a more equitable and sustainable city
- Presented findings at public forum alongside panel of DC transit experts
- Founded the Learning Technologies Research group
- Created and served as lead designer, developer, and manager of the CAPITAL adult literacy learning application and REMind learning management system
- Conducted extensive research on literacy acquisition, mobile learning, and software design paradigms for under-served communities and users with limited digital literacy
- Developed and analyzed novel algorithms for automatically generating foundational literacy learning materials from an existing curriculum
- Worked with instructors at adult literacy organizations to determine their needs for educational tools and piloted them with students in various classrooms
- Made significant modifications to the Data Management Center's internal tool to improve usability and performance
- Helped build missing features of internal tool by leveraging Collibra APIs to help move product closer to production